The new fields
South Sudan announced the production of oil in the new fields last month.Mr Lol pointed out that the government was taking measures to revive the economy.
“This is money for the people of South Sudan. The economy of the country will definitely be improving,” he said.The minister said all the oil companies must abide by the law on environmental protection.
He added that it was also the duty of the oil companies to give back to the communities services such as health, water, good roads and education.“Yes, the issue of environment protection is paramount and in the agreement we signed today, we covered it. It is a win-win for all of us (government and oil companies),” he said.
Earlier, German aid agency Sign of Hope, released figures of people displaced by oil contamination in Thar Jath in the former Unity State.Sign of Hope said more than 500,000 people were uprooted by the oil pollution in the area.Mr Lol acknowledged the report, but said it was exaggerated.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan monitoring body probes attacks on SPLM-IO in Yei River - 13/09/2018
- New Primate of South Sudan: ‘Peace is deeper than a piece of paper’ - 13/09/2018
- Weariness and low expectations greet latest S.Sudan deal - 13/09/2018
- Hope, scepticism as warring South Sudan leaders sign peace deal - 13/09/2018
- South Sudan's president, rebel leader sign final peace deal - 12/09/2018
Older news items:
- China Poised To Dominate South Sudan’s Oil Industry - 12/09/2018
- In South Sudan, Some Children Work in Mines to Survive - 12/09/2018
- South Sudan accuses Kenyan cattle rustlers of killing 19 herders - 11/09/2018
- ICRC: Cease-Fire in South Sudan Appears to Be Holding - 10/09/2018
- South Sudan gives 3 foreign oil firms 6 more years to produce oil - 10/09/2018
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 18686 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14039 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 13757 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 13364 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11332 times