South Sudan's rebel leader Riek Machar speaks during an interview with Reuters in Kenya's capital Nairobi July 8, 2015. REUTERS/Thomas Mukoya/File Photo
JUBA (Reuters) - South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar has accepted an invitation from the Ethiopian Prime Minister to talks with South Sudanese president Salva Kiir in Addis Ababa next week, a spokesman for Machar said on Wednesday.
The statement said Machar, who is under house arrest in South Africa, had been invited by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to attend the talks on June 20. The talks will be led by East African bloc IGAD, the statement said.
There was no immediate comment from South Sudan’s government or from IGAD.
The meeting would be the first time that Kiir and Machar, the former vice president of South Sudan, have met since a peace deal between the government and Machar’s rebel group fell apart in August 2016.
Tens of thousand of people have died in the civil war that broke out in late 2013 when troops loyal to Machar launched a rebellion against the government. All sides in the now complex and multi-faceted war stand accused by the United Nations and other bodies of committing atrocities against civilians.
(This version of the story corrects location of talks to Addis Ababa (not Khartoum) in headline, first paragraph)
Reporting by Denis Dumo; Writing by Maggie Fick; Editing by Catherine Evans
Newer news items:
- South Sudan's cabinet passes $63 million budget for 2018-19 - 14/06/2018
- South Sudan calls for increased investment amid blood shortage - 14/06/2018
- Is South Sudan war money behind the posh houses in Nairobi? - 14/06/2018
- South Sudan's warring leaders invited to meet next week - 13/06/2018
- Kenya, Uganda urged to seize assets of South Sudan warlords - 13/06/2018
Older news items:
- South Sudan’s Kiir orders return of Muslim properties - 12/06/2018
- South Sudan, China sign media development pact - 12/06/2018
- South Sudan president approves resignation of SPLM chief whip - 12/06/2018
- South Sudan's new 500 pound note unlikely to stem inflation - 12/06/2018
- South Sudan ready to issue EAC digital passport: official - 12/06/2018
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19405 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 15805 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14782 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14307 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11854 times