The African Union (AU) said on Sunday that an AU delegation is on a five-day visit to South Sudan to urge South Sudanese parties to commit to the resolution of the civil war that erupted in mid-December 2013.
The delegation of the Peace and Security Council (PSC) of the pan-African bloc is led by Bankole Adeoye, permanent representative of Nigeria and chairperson of the PSC for this month, according to an AU statement.
The PSC mission followed the visit by the chairperson of the AU Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, to South Africa, where he met South Sudan opposition leader Riek Machar.
The PSC delegation is expected to interact with all South Sudanese stakeholders, as well as with African and international actors, to assess the challenges that are still impeding the implementation of the 2015 agreement on the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan, the AU statement said.
Deeply concerned by the humanitarian situation in South Sudan, the PSC delegation will visit the city of Malakal as part of its field mission, according to the statement. Enditem
Newer news items:
- South Sudan Protesters Gather in Washington to Denounce War - 16/04/2018
- Chinese-built electricity poles plant inaugurated in South Sudan - 16/04/2018
- South Sudan opposition give six conditions to government - 16/04/2018
- Utah midwife returns from war-torn South Sudan a changed person - 16/04/2018
- South Sudan: One of just two executing states in sub-Saharan Africa in 2017 - 16/04/2018
Older news items:
- South Sudan refugee crisis hit children the hardest - 15/04/2018
- South Sudan rebels say they have freed seven aid workers - 15/04/2018
- South Sudan army chief ill, seeks treatment abroad - 15/04/2018
- South Sudan's Refugee Flow Is Often a Children's Crisis - 15/04/2018
- Activist urges AUPSC to push for Hybrid Court on S. Sudan - 15/04/2018
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 18760 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14173 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 13953 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 13510 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11434 times