Tuesday, March 27, 2011, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Collo Global Action condemns in strong terms the gross Human Rights Violations committed by South Sudan Military against innocent Collo citizens across Upper Nile state, South Sudan.
We strongly condemn the detention of civilians without any due respect to Law and the norms of international human rights regulations.
CGA calls upon the human rights organization to intervene as we also appeal to the concern authorities in Upper Nile state to immediately release the detainees.
Please see below a list of some names of civilians who have been under Military Intelligence's detention in Upper Nile state, since Sunday, March 13, 2011.
1. Henry Dak Ajiing Bolith
2. Obac Oboty Adungnyiker
3. Odhong Timothy Aban
4. David Othwonh
5. Nyago Aban Malouk
6. Abraham Ngor
The above-mentioned civilians who hail from Shilluk ethnicity were picked up from various locations. They're detained by South Sudan's Military Intelligence and none is known about their detention conditions. The Military Intelligence has a bad reputation of brutality and torture and we suspect the innocent civilians might be going through some torturing and other human rights abuses.
The motive of detention might be tribal or political. We view this on going abuses against Shilluk people as warnings of genocide or ethnic cleansings as it happened in Rwanda 1994. Please protect the Shilluk people and stop South Sudan from becoming another Rwanda.
We urge the Human rights organizations to pressure the authorities in Upper Nile state to respect human rights and freedom of its citizens. We advise that governor Simon Kon abstains from targeting Collo citizens because that will breed more violence and insecurity in the state.
CGA is a nonprofit organization that promotes human rights and democracy in South Sudan plus championing the concerns of the citizens of the Shilluk Kingdom.
UN High Commissioner on Human Rights, Geneva
Amnesty International, New York
Human Rights Watch, New York
Southern Sudan Human Rights Commission, Juba
Upper Nile state, Adviser for Gender and Human Rights, Malakal
Churches and Friends of Sudan, USA
Newer news items:
- Open Letter to Rev. Tijwok Athar, Religious Advisor in South Government - 12/04/2011
- بيان توضيحى - 12/04/2011
- Respond to Rev. Otwali Athar allegation against Presbyterian Church of the Sudan/ Dolieb Hill Presbytery - 09/04/2011
- انتفاضة أبناء شلو - 06/04/2011
- UN Watch to honor Simon Deng with 2011 Freedom Award - 04/04/2011
Older news items:
- ANALYSIS OF MALAKAL CRISES: BACKGROUND TO CONTINUE CONFLICT - 25/03/2011
- Cain and Abel “Am I my brother’s guardian?” - 16/03/2011
- List of Chollo arrested by SPLA military intelligence - 16/03/2011
- Petition to Mr.Salva Kiir Mayadit, President of Republic of Southern Sudan - 13/03/2011
- Fighting in Thothim Chieftaincy - 07/03/2011
Popular news items:
- Should dowry be abolished in Collo community? - 13/11/2008 - Read 25674 times
- THE INSTALLATION OF THE SHILLUK (KING) RETH - 08/02/2008 - Read 16452 times
- الشلك أمة .... ولها حضارة ترقت في مدارج الحضارة الإنسانية - 23/01/2007 - Read 15330 times
- Chollo Petition to the United Nation Secretary General - 26/07/2010 - Read 14374 times
- Paper: A Historical background of the Collo - 22/08/2010 - Read 13229 times