UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES (UNHCR)
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Vacancy Notice No. 005/2020
Title of Post
Assistant Finance Officer
National Professional Officer (NPO), NOA
Type of contract
Juba, South Sudan
Date of Issue
07 February 2020
Effective date of assignment
1 April 2020
20 February 2020
Assistant Finance Officer positions provide technical support with the processing of financial transactions, and monitor compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules.
In operations that do not have a Project Control Officer and are not covered by a Regional Project Control Officer, the Assistant Finance Officer must also perform oversight responsibilities with regard to the execution of projects.
The incumbent directly supervises general service staff.
- UNHCR’s financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures are adhered to by the office.
- UNHCR’s local cash is safeguarded.
- Monthly accounts are correct and approved.
- Management is promptly informed of major variances in the execution of projects (budgets, finance, implementation or timeframe).
- Contribute to the assessment of budgetary needs for administrative budgets (ABOD); monitor and control ABOD expenditure in the office.
- Analyze, evaluate and control disbursements/receipts, as well as expenditure variances against approved budgets.
- Review vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Propose monthly cash requirements for the office, and ensure adequate and timely replenishments of funds;
- Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
- Provide financial status reports to supervisors.
- Analyze and evaluate all financial reports produced on a regular basis.
- Maintain effective business relationships with local banks.
- Support ensuring compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that payments are effectuated by the monthly deadline.
- Ensure that monthly accounts are correct and approved, and ensure timely monthly bank reconciliations, including open items, review and clearance of unwanted requisitions and PO balances.
- Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Verify that all financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Prepare office-level financial expenditure reports submitted to the regional office or Headquarters.
- Approve vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Accounting, Finance, or Public or Business Administration, Economics or related field, OR undergraduate degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent) plus minimum one year of previous job experience in the field of accounting or finance. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
*** For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent).
- Working experience of at least one year in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar).
- Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
- Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
- Working experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle Financial modules.
Knowledge of additional UN languages.
- Managing Resources
- Managing Performance
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Analytical Thinking
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Political Awareness
Candidates must be South Sudanese nationals.
Internal staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (PPAL). If you have questions regarding eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications:
The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet is attached.
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test and oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Refugees – who cares? We Do
Newer news items:
Older news items:
- WFP - JOB VACANCIES AT WFP: PROGRAMME ASSOCIATE, G6 - AWEIL & FINANCE ASSISTANT, SC5 YIDA - 02/02/2020
- UNICEF - Administrative Assistant, (GS-4), Temporary Appointment, Pibor - Bor Field Office, South Sudan (Open to South Sudanese only) - 03/12/2019
- WFP - VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER 108162 PROGRAMME ASSOCIATE, G6 - JUBA - 17/11/2019
- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - vacant positions - 24/10/2019
- UNOPS - Vacancy Announcements- Drivers - Juba, Aweil, Wau - 14/10/2019
Popular news items:
- Various Posts in UNICEF South Sudan - 01/07/2012 - Read 176717 times
- Vacancy announcement from World Food Programme ,South Sudan Country office - 27/06/2016 - Read 53718 times
- 5 Uinted Nations Volunteers (UNV) Vacancies for South Sudanese Nationals - 31/03/2017 - Read 28117 times
- UNICEF - Communication Officer - Juba - 16/07/2012 - Read 21671 times
- South Sudan embassy various vacancies - Washington DC - 11/08/2012 - Read 20355 times