If you are a South Sudanese who is committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the direct supervision of Operations Officer, the incumbent administers the supply operations of a relatively simple nature and limited impact, requiring basic professional technical expertise in support of operations and programme objectives. Responsible for effective planning, contracting, procurement, distribution, and inventory management of UNICEF's supplies, in support of the Country Programmes and operations.
Key Expected Results
- Rapid and relevant responses and assistance provided to evolving supply needs and situations, including emergency situations, with a priority on achieving value for money.
- Integrity, standards and accountability monitored, administered and maintained by implementing sound, accurate supply/logistics management systems, procedures, documentation and accurate reporting.
- Professional assistance and training provided for capacity-building in order to enhance efficient, effective and timely delivery of supplies.
- Effective procurement conducted to attain lowest cost without sacrificing quality.
- Effective collaboration and partnership in supply/procurements/purchasing/contracting/logistics with internal and external counterparts developed and maintained through better coordination, communication and networking.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Provide rapid and relevant assistance and support to evolving supply needs and situations facing children and families, including emergency situations, with a priority on achieving value for money.
- Support logistics/supply planning through coordination with Operations/Programme Sections. Provides technical support in preparation of appropriate documents, and input on specifications and supply and logistics arrangements, facilitating cost-effective efficient procurement, clearance, storage and distribution of supplies and equipment to project sites, in support of the country programme implementation.
- Assist in the Country Programme strategy planning review to recommend on supply requirements and to provide support in the preparation of Plan of Operations and Plans of Action... Assist in the implementation of supply/logistics component of the Country Programme, including systems for storage and distribution of supplies to all project sites.
Implement sound, accurate supply/logistics management systems, procedures and documentation as well as regular, accurate reporting to maintain the highest level of integrity, standards and accountability.
- Maintain effective working relations and contact with the Supply Division, Copenhagen, to confer on supply procurement and shipping policies and procedures. Advise the country office on policies and procedures impacting on offshore and local procurement and delivery. Maintain link with Copenhagen on transnational shipments, deliveries, claims and appropriateness of supplies.
- Act as secretary and adviser to the CRC. Establish and maintain a system of contact with customs and port/airport authorities at national ports of entry on the clearance of UNICEF supplies, in keeping with established protocol.
- Supervise the staff in preparation of appropriate documentation: cash and supply requisitions, purchase orders, CRC submissions etc.
- Participate in the preparation/compilation of the supply status reports required for donor reports, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, appeals, etc.
- Help to develop and communicate accurate inventory tracking, inventory aging and incoming supplies information.
Support UNICEF as well as Government capacity-building in order to enhance efficient, effective and timely supply delivery,
- Plan, design and conduct training for UNICEF's staff/consultants and counterparts in supply management, customs clearance, distribution and inventory of supplies and equipment in order to improve supply delivery.
- Assists in the identification of training needs and plan training activities in supply administration for UNICEF's staff/consultants and counterparts, to improve supply delivery.
Conduct and monitor effective procurement, local, regional and/or offshore, with a goal to attain lowest cost without sacrificing quality as applicable.
- Undertake field visits to project sites and monitor inventory and supply inputs. Proposes corrective actions to improve logistical procedures.
- Conduct local procurement through issuance of tenders, bid adjudication and contract management Identify and recommend potential local suppliers. Maintain data on and evaluate local supply sources' overall performance, (competitive pricing, product quality and timely delivery).
- Assess supply operations and control mechanisms and propose appropriate actions.
- Monitor progress of offshore and/or regional procurement through regular contacts with the Action Office(s).
- Communicate and report quality issues with respect to supplies and/or service agreements.
Collaboration and Partnership
- Coordinate with the Programme Section on supply planning, providing technical support on procurement specifications and supply administration as well as providing advice on supply requirements in the development of the supply component of the Country Programme.
- Provide advice to the Country Office and Government on offshore and/or local procurement policies and procedures, delivery and utilization of UNICEF supplies and equipment; coordinate with the Supply Division, Copenhagen, on supply policy and/or activities.
- Team with the Programme Section and other members of the Operations Section to facilitate procurement as well as efficient customs clearance, storage and distribution of supplies and equipment.
- Maintain partnership and collaborative relations with UNICEF, Government, UN, and bilateral counterparts in supply and logistics activities, including distribution, and monitoring supply inputs and inventory.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree in Business Administration, Management, International Economics, Engineering, International Development, Contract/commercial Law or in directly related areas of specialization, including credited courses in supply, logistics, purchasing or contracting. Or, a recognized qualification in procurement and contracting.
Educational qualification in relevant areas (transport or logistics operations/management, supply change management, etc.)
- One year of relevant professional work experience.
- Both national and international work experience in supply, logistics, purchasing, contracting and administration and/or other related fields.
- Work experience in emergency duty station.
- Fluency of the local language of the duty station as well as proficiency in English.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Drive for Result
- Working with People
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Following Instructions and Procedures
- Planning and Organizing
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
- Specialized, standard technical knowledge (product knowledge, market research/analysis) required for essential Supply Management/Purchasing/Contracting (e.g., vaccine, equipment, medical supplies, contracts, customs function, taxation, insurance, etc.).
- Knowledge of relevant Information Technology software
Common Technical Knowledge Required
- Knowledge of managing inventory, transport, and diverse logistics operations (e.g., programme supply & logistics) in the international environment
- Knowledge of supply/contracting/logistics policies, goals, strategies, and approaches
- Knowledge of public procurement principles and processes
- Knowledge of procurement process from procurement planning, to execution to contract management and administration, including procurement methods and tools of good procurement practice
- Knowledge of establishing strategic, long term and sustainable procurement arrangements
- Knowledge of general principles and processes involved in risk management in procurement, including risk analysis and evaluation techniques
- Knowledge of financial and legal implications in procurement process-
- Knowledge of category management
- Gender equality and diversity awareness.
UNICEF Supply Function goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies. (E.g., SUPDIRs, PROs, Executive Directives,)
Rules and regulations of supply and programme manuals and instructions. (E.g., Supply Field Manual, Programme, Policy and Procedures Manual)
Financial circulars and rules, regulations and manual.
Administrative and Human Resources Rules and Manuals.
Information and Communication Technology administration
UNICEF emergency programme and operations policies, strategies, procedures and approaches.
Rights-based and Results-based management and programming approach in UNICEF.
Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP); Country Programme Management Plan (CPMP)
International Code of Conduct
UN and UNICEF policies and approaches on supply issues involved in harmonization of operations in the common system...
UN and UNICEF security operations and guidelines.
Government regulations and laws in the locality (e.g., customs clearance, VAT and other taxation systems).
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.
Newer news items:
- 5 Uinted Nations Volunteers (UNV) Vacancies for South Sudanese Nationals - 31/03/2017
- UNICEF - Operations Officer NO-B Fixed Term, Bor-South Sudan (Re-advertisement) - 28/03/2017
- UNICEF - Multiple Fixed Term Positions - 24/02/2017
- UNICEF - Nutrition Officer, NO-B Level (FT), based in Yambio - 22/02/2017
- Vacancies Announcement - World Food Programme ,South Sudan Country Office (09/02/2017) - 09/02/2017
Older news items:
- Various positions with UNICEF South Sudan (17/01/2017) - 17/01/2017
- UNICEF - Education Officer (NO-B), (Fixed-Term) Aweil, South Sudan - 14/01/2017
- UNICEF - Programe Officer (NO-B), (Fixed-Term) Yambio, South Sudan - 09/01/2017
- UNICEF Vacancy Announcement for Multiple posts (20/12/2016) - 20/12/2016
- IMA World Health - Nutrition Officer, Juba - 10/12/2016
Popular news items:
- Various Posts in UNICEF South Sudan - 01/07/2012 - Read 66611 times
- South Sudan embassy various vacancies - Washington DC - 11/08/2012 - Read 12549 times
- Vacancy announcement from World Food Programme ,South Sudan Country office - 27/06/2016 - Read 12141 times
- UNFPA - Personal Assistant to the Representative - Juba - 15/08/2012 - Read 9149 times
- UNOCHA - National Field Officer - Bor - 11/08/2012 - Read 7992 times