- Written by Pachodo.org News Room
- Category: Pachodo.org Latest English Articles
- Hits: 1060
On May 15, 2008, Sudanese peace activist Rebecca J. Okwaci was invited to give testimony to the United States Congress, along with women leaders from other parts of the world on Women, Peace and Security. This was the first congressional hearing to explore women's contribution to peace-building and post-conflict reconstruction. The hearing was based on the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 which recognizes and supports women's role in achieving peace. At the hearing, Rebecca Okwaci testified on the vital role of Sudanese women's contributions to peace-building in Sudan.
In light of this great achievement for Sudanese women, many individual women and Sudanese organizations have teamed up to organize a celebration of Sudanese women, as well as a reflection on current peace building efforts by Sudanese women. We ask for you to join us to share this experience.
There will be entertainment, including songs, dance and poems. Additionally, there will be an art exhibition by reknowned Sudanese artist Fatima Hassan. Light refreshments will be served. Families and friends are welcome.
Venue: SWAN Centre (off Ngong Road before Adams's Arcade to your right turn to Menelik Road. Keep right and first turn will take you to Kindaruma. The second gate on your right is clearly written SWAN centre.)
Date: Saturday 23rd August, 2008
Time: 12:00 noon - 5:00 pm (program to follow)
For more information, please contact: (Phoebe Yona 0726078337/Zahra Said 0722420348)
Newer news items:
Older news items:
- Poverty, population movement contributing to spread of HIV in Sudan - 18/08/2008
- Rebecca denies accusations of corruption against South Sudan Vice-President - 16/08/2008
- JEM Vision for Regime Change is a Violation of the CPA - 16/08/2008
- Critical Thinking, the Educated Mind, and the Creation of Critical Societiesâ€¦ - 15/08/2008
- GOSS Liaison Offices abroad are not Diplomatic Missions - 14/08/2008
Popular news items:
- Fashoda Youth Forum Rehabilitation of Drainage Culverts in Malakal town Report - 07/08/2008 - Read 11029 times
- Press Statement:The South Sudan Political Parties Consensus Dialogue Forum - 26/09/2010 - Read 8606 times
- The Final Communique of SPLM-DC Third Session of the National Council - 29/03/2011 - Read 8003 times
- Agriculture in Southern Sudan: Challenges and Investment Opportunities - 06/10/2010 - Read 5625 times
- Henna Tattoos - Dangerous beauty? - 12/08/2008 - Read 4935 times