- Written/Submitted by Yorwin Otor
- Category: Pachodo.org Latest English Articles
- Hits: 1537
Reading from different sources over past several months, it was imminent that Abyei was going to be spot light to start the next war between north and south. Some of the SPLM top hierarchies who rose from Abyei were very vocal about their region to become part of the south before 9th July when South declares her independence.
The main reason for this mess is that some of Abyei sons and daughters are occupying positions in SPLA and GoSS and are afraid they lose them.South should not go to war simply for self interest of Abyei.
The problem of Abyei was included in Addis Ababa Agreement in 1972, that there should a plebiscite on Abyei whether they would like to be part of the south or remain in the north. Although nothing had happen until the start of the next war in 1983, it does not mean the problem has been forgotten. It remains a reference document. Abyei issue was stipulated in the CPA when it was given a separate protocol in addition to the ABC which was rule by International Court in The Hague. There was still hope that Abyei was going to become part of the south at some point in time.
But, the egoistic thinking of some Ngong Dinka that they are the rulers of the south and therefore, they can do anything under the sun is unacceptable. This is a wrong utopian assumption. The south belongs to different nationalities who are yawning for freedom. This cannot be stop by few who think their interest is not served. Abyei Ngong Dinka was accommodated by southerners since 1972, but, they continue to abuse our hospitality. Technically, they are still part of the north until such a time their referendum is conducted to choose whether they want to become part of the south or remain in the north.
The case of Abyei is known. If the Dinkas of Bahr El Ghazal are emphatic with their kinsmen Ngong Dinka of Abyei then there is no need for them to drag the rest of the south into another war. Let them use other avenues to put forth their case. Deng Alor who comes from Abyei is a highly qualified diplomat. Why can’t he use his expertise to solve the problem?
Call a spade a spade. A convoy carrying SAF units from JIUs and escorted by UNMIS to the north were ambush on the way by SPLA and many SAF were killed. Did the orders from SPLA high command in Juba or did heaven go loose? Now, the government in Khartoum order SAF to take over Abyei in retaliation. Abyei is now Kashmir of Sudan due to mistakes committed by certain individuals.
Bashir and Salva have both began to beat war drums. Any war begins like this. It should not take us by surprise. We better us ask ourselves whether we are prepare for the next war.
The same day Abyei was invaded by SAF, another location in northern Upper Nile State, Keuk in Manyo County was occupied by Police from White Nile State. This incident was not mentioned anywhere by Upper Nile State or GoSS. It is worth noting, Abyei is a Dinka territory while Keuk is Shilluk territory. A procession was done in Malakal town for Abyei and not Keuk.
Things that SPLM need to resolve have become many before 9th of July. Abyei is already a thorn in the flash that SPLM needs to put up with. Increase insurgency all over the south will require a solution although SPLM/SPLA has opted for military solution. This option might take months before SPLA can quill the rebellion to the victory of Dinka SPLA.
Abyei have become a flash point for next war in Sudan. SPLM lacks stamina to resolve such political issues. All what SPLM known is “WE KNOW” when in actual fact, they know nothing. Their six years in power was only corruption and nepotism.
Newer news items:
Older news items:
- The Waging War’s Effects on Civilians in South Kordofan State / Nuba Mountains Region - 20/06/2011
- Question on secretary general of SPLM and minister of peace his silence or disappeared on the ground - 18/06/2011
- South Sudanese are Hostage within UNMIS camp Kadugli/Sudan sector VI - 16/06/2011
- Why is the Meeting Between Omar and Salva in Addis Ababa? - 16/06/2011
- The Creatures that are not allow to be killed illegally according to the Collo Tradition - 14/06/2011
Popular news items:
- Fashoda Youth Forum Rehabilitation of Drainage Culverts in Malakal town Report - 07/08/2008 - Read 10642 times
- Press Statement:The South Sudan Political Parties Consensus Dialogue Forum - 26/09/2010 - Read 8420 times
- The Final Communique of SPLM-DC Third Session of the National Council - 29/03/2011 - Read 6601 times
- Agriculture in Southern Sudan: Challenges and Investment Opportunities - 06/10/2010 - Read 4581 times
- Henna Tattoos - Dangerous beauty? - 12/08/2008 - Read 4435 times