- Written/Submitted by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 139
Sudan's army has been fighting SPLM-North rebels in the state since June last year, shortly before South Sudan seceded from Sudan, but the South Kordofan capital Kadugli has been mostly isolated from the fighting.
"The government and our troops have been shelling each other since this morning," SPLM-North spokesman Arnu Lodi said. "They have been shelling our forces based outside Kadugli from inside the town and we are shooting back in self-defense."
Sudanese army spokesman al-Sawarmi Khalid could not immediately be reached for comment.
Events in Sudan's border states are hard to verify as the government bans foreign media from travelling there.
Khartoum accuses South Sudan of backing the rebels of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North, who fought as part of the southern rebel army during Sudan's civil war, which ended in 2005. South Sudan denies the accusation.
Fighting in South Kordofan and nearby Blue Nile state has displaced or severely affected 900,000 people, the United Nations said on Friday. Sudan agreed in August to let aid into rebel-held areas but the United Nations has been unable to win government approval to go ahead with distributing food.
Under international pressure, Sudan and South Sudan agreed last month to establish a buffer zone along their border after clashing along it several times in the past year. Indirect talks between Khartoum and the rebels, however, have made scant progress.
(Reporting by Khalid Abdelaziz; Writing by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
Newer news items:
- Robotics Grad Remembers Childhood as a Refugee - Huffington Post - 25/10/2012
- Sudan says Israelis hit military factory - San Francisco Chronicle - 25/10/2012
- Sudan Blames Israel for Factory Explosion - Wall Street Journal - 24/10/2012
- South Sudan plans mediation between Ethiopia and Eritrea - Chicago Tribune - 24/10/2012
- Sudan: Rebels shell southern border town, kill 2 - WGME - 23/10/2012
Older news items:
- South Sudan: Political Recklessness and the Danger of External Interventions - Sudan Vision - 21/10/2012
- South Sudan VP speaks in Maine - WGME - 21/10/2012
- Location: South Sudan - Reuters AlertNet - 21/10/2012
- South Sudan: So many stories remain untold - Sioux Falls Argus Leader - 21/10/2012
- South Sudan Vice President visits Portland - WGME - 20/10/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3592 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 2397 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2215 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 2028 times
- Clinton urges Sudan, South Sudan reconciliation - USA TODAY - 03/08/2012 - Read 1988 times