- Written by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 159
OSLO, Norway, October 19, 2012/African Press Organization (APO)/ -- South Sudan and Norway have entered into two new development cooperation agreements. Norway is to provide up to NOK 48 million for enhancing the management of South Sudan's oil resources.
This is the first time the two countries have signed an agreement on the overall principles for their development cooperation.
“I am pleased that we have concluded an agreement of this kind. It will help to give the people of South Sudan faith in the future,” said Minister of International Development Heikki Eidsvoll Holmås.
Norway and South Sudan also signed a new agreement on the Oil for Development programme. Norway is to provide up to NOK 48 million to this programme over the next two years.
“This new oil agreement signals that our cooperation is entering a new and exciting phase, which will include cooperation between the relevant ministries in our two countries. South Sudan's oil revenues can have a great impact on development in this young country. These revenues must therefore be managed in a sound and transparent way, so that they can benefit the people,” said Mr Holmås.
So far, development cooperation between Norway and South Sudan has included transfer of Norwegian expertise on petroleum management, assistance in drawing up new legislation, and training of South Sudanese oil sector employees. It has also funded the building of offices for employees at South Sudan's petroleum directorate.
State Secretary Torgeir Larsen signed the agreements on behalf of the Minister of International Development in the capital of South Sudan, Juba, yesterday.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan Vice President visits Portland - WGME - 20/10/2012
- Political Partnerships: The Case of the Republic of South Sudan (2-2) - Sudan Vision - 20/10/2012
- South Sudan envoy visits Vels University - The Hindu - 20/10/2012
- Nurse finds peace in South Sudan - Brisbane Times - 20/10/2012
- South Kordofan, Blue Nile war 'affects 900000' - AFP - 19/10/2012
Older news items:
- South Sudanese singer to launch new CD at a concert in Boston on December ... - New Sudan Vision - 19/10/2012
- South Sudan orders resumption of oil production - BBC News - 18/10/2012
- South Sudan resumes oil production - Fox News - 18/10/2012
- South Sudan resumes oil production - The Associated Press - 18/10/2012
- Sudan and South Sudan must choose peace - The Hill (blog) - 18/10/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3877 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 3263 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 3248 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2825 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 2637 times