- Written/Submitted by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 115
Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle met Saturday with a leader of South Sudan, Vice President Riek Machar.
Suttle and Machar discussed the challenges facing South Sudanese immigrants to the United States, and how South Sudan might help in that process.
Omaha has a large Sudanese population and was one of eight U.S. cities last year in which expatriates could vote on whether southern Sudan should become an independent nation. The tally favored independence, and South Sudan was created.
The meeting Saturday took place in downtown Omaha.
Suttle said the vice president wondered why so many South Sudanese have come to Omaha.
The mayor said later: “They come because of the jobs and they come because housing is cheap and they come because there are success stories” of South Sudanese already living here.
“I think the biggest thing is, the welcome mat is out here for the South Sudanese,” Suttle added.
Buey Tut, executive director of Aqua-Africa, an Omaha nonprofit organization, also participated.
Aqua-Africa strives to provide clean drinking water to South Sudan. To do so, the organization has drilled several wells in the new nation.
— Rick Ruggles
Newer news items:
- A call for fair distribution of scholarship grants in the new nation - 07/10/2012
- South Sudan Challenges, Foreseeing future Strategy, Character, Policy and Selection of Leaders … (4-5) - 07/10/2012
- South Sudan: Foreigners are ordered to register for water business in Jonglei ... - Borglobe - 07/10/2012
- Sudan to reopen border with South Sudan: state media - Reuters - 07/10/2012
- Sudan opens borders with South - The Australian - 07/10/2012
Older news items:
- Irish security company has South Sudan in its sights - Irish Independent - 06/10/2012
- South Sudan's Vice President Visits Omaha - WOWT - 06/10/2012
- Home Grown Peacekeeping Strategies in the Republic of South Sudan - Sudan Vision - 06/10/2012
- South Sudan aims to end oil asset row with Sudan in 2 months - Reuters Africa - 06/10/2012
- Peace, welfare of Sudanese people to be secured - The News International - 05/10/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3587 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 2383 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2206 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 2010 times
- Clinton urges Sudan, South Sudan reconciliation - USA TODAY - 03/08/2012 - Read 1987 times