- Written by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 125
Posted September 24th, 2012 at 11:50 am (UTC-4)
The presidents of Sudan and South Sudan are meeting for a second day as they try to resolve issues left from the two countries' split last year.
Presidents Omar al-Bashir of Sudan and Salva Kiir of South Sudan are meeting in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, along with African Union mediators.
The AU team has presented ideas for settling the dispute over the oil-producing Abyei region. The proposal, outlined in documents obtained by VOA , calls for a so-called “soft border” that would allow free movement of people, livestock and goods into both Sudan and South Sudan from Abyei.
In a letter to Mr. Kiir, the AU also calls on the sides to decide Abyei's status through talks instead of a poll of the region's people. A poll, says chief AU negotiator Thabo Mbeki, would create hard feelings on the side that lost, and make peace difficult.
Other disputes stemming from South Sudan's July 2011 independence from Sudan involve security, oil revenues, and the status of each country's nationals and one another's territory.
Sudan accuses of the south of arming rebels in two border states, while South Sudan accuses the Sudanese army of bombing raids.
The United Nations gave the two Sudans until this past Saturday to reach an agreement or face possible sanctions.
Newer news items:
- Sudan says progress made on South Sudan talks - The Associated Press - 26/09/2012
- Sudan, South Sudan close to deal: Ethiopia - AFP - 26/09/2012
- South Sudan appoints first ambassador to India - Times of India - 25/09/2012
- US Ambassador Tells South Sudan To Be Patient - Voice of America - 25/09/2012
- No deal yet in Sudan-South Sudan talks - The Associated Press - 24/09/2012
Older news items:
- South Sudan, Sudan talk to finalize border, other issues - CNN - 24/09/2012
- South Sudan traders hope talks open border with old foe Sudan - Bayoubuzz - 24/09/2012
- South Sudan traders hope talks open border with old foe Sudan - Reuters - 24/09/2012
- Sudan, South Sudan Leaders to Meet in... - ABC News - 23/09/2012
- Sudan, South Sudan leaders negotiate on border, oil - KGMI - 23/09/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3878 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 3268 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 3252 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2828 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 2646 times