- Written by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 137
Official: 24 South Sudan troops killed by rebels
KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — A senior military official says 24 South Sudanese soldiers were killed in clashes with a militia group that the southern government accuses of subverting a disarmament campaign.
South Sudan army spokesman Col. Philip Aguer said Monday that an additional 12 soldiers were wounded and 17 are still missing from the Aug. 22 ambush of 200 South Sudanese troops who had been sent to quell alleged rebel activity in Jonglei State, the scene of a disarmament program that Human Rights Watch criticizes as too violent.
Aguer said the rebels are led by an elusive militant named Yau Yau and that they are backed by South Sudan's northern neighbor Sudan, which consistently denies similar allegations.
Relations between the two Sudans are tense, particularly along the border between the two countries.
Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan Corruption Is a Threat to Security in the Region - Sudan Vision - 28/08/2012
- Disease, Malnutrition Plague Growing South Sudan Refugee Camp - Voice of America - 27/08/2012
- South Sudan official says 24 soldiers killed in clashes with rebel militia ... - Washington Post - 27/08/2012
- Official: 24 South Sudan troops killed by rebels - Newsday - 27/08/2012
- South Sudan adopts Kenya's insurance regulatory system - Daily Nation - 27/08/2012
Older news items:
- Urgent need for mental healthcare in South Sudan after decades of war - Gant Daily - 27/08/2012
- Rebels kill 24 South Sudan soldiers, army says - Reuters - 27/08/2012
- SOUTH SUDAN: Urgent need for mental healthcare - IRINnews.org - 27/08/2012
- Sudanese refugees' country of origin changed to South Sudan - Haaretz - 26/08/2012
- Rebels killed at least 24 South Sudan soldiers: officials - AFP - 26/08/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3881 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 3293 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 3269 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2841 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 2688 times