- Written/Submitted by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 101
A 2-2 draw at home to Uganda in a friendly played in Juba on July 10 has put South Sudan 199th in the 209-team table. South Sudan, which became fully independent last year, joined FIFA in May after being voted in at the annual Congress.
The team, made up nearly entirely of home-based players, is coached by widely-travelled Serb Zoran Djordjevic, who has also taken charge of Yemen, Sudan and Bangladesh in a career which has taken him around Africa and Asia.
England reached their highest-ever ranking of third place without even playing a game.
They leap-frogged Uruguay because the points which the South American side earned in winning the Copa America one year ago lost some of their value under the complicated system of co-efficient used to determine the rankings.
There were few other changes with only 12 full internationals played in the last month. Spain are top while five-times world champions Brazil remained outside the top 10.
1. (1) Spain
2. (2) Germany
3. (4) England
4. (3) Uruguay
5. (5) Portugal
6. (6) Italy
7. (7) Argentina
8. (8) Netherlands
9. (9) Croatia
10. (10) Denmark
Newer news items:
- South Sudan Marathoner Competes Under Olympic Flag - Voice of America - 09/08/2012
- Group Warns of Dire Situation in Sudan Refugee Camps - Voice of America - 08/08/2012
- Once Lost, Now Found: Two Lost Boys of Sudan Give the Gift of Literacy to ... - Huffington Post (blog) - 08/08/2012
- South Sudan Accuses Ugandans of Stealing Land - Voice of America - 08/08/2012
- Summer Nights: Cuban 'Jubans' In South Sudan - NPR - 08/08/2012
Older news items:
- England hit all-time high, South Sudan debut - Fifa.com - 08/08/2012
- Asia-Pacific Crude-Bach Ho weighs; South Sudan eyes restart - Reuters Africa - 08/08/2012
- South Sudan enter FIFA rankings - Chicago Tribune - 08/08/2012
- US Secretary of State Clinton's Africa tour raises tensions with China - World Socialist Web Site - 07/08/2012
- Lomong adds to his reasons to run - Chicago Tribune - 07/08/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3616 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 2501 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2293 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 2175 times
- Clinton urges Sudan, South Sudan reconciliation - USA TODAY - 03/08/2012 - Read 2006 times