- Written/Submitted by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 133
Martyrs' Day began on this day six years ago, one year after Dr. John Garang was killed in a helicopter crash. Garang is the founder of what is now the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) and Movement, (SPLA/M) which is the ruling party in South Sudan. He is regarded as the founding father of the world’s newest country.
Abouch Bany, widow of the late SPLA commander William Nyon Bany, was one of the first speakers at the Monday celebration. She said the financial and emotional burdens of widows after the war are many.
“What we are facing now is not our husbands we lost but how to raise the kids. [It] is not easy even if your husband is alive, you are the one to raise the child because men -- they are [usually the] providers, if they are [the] providers, we have to look after the kids,” she said.
Pitia Nyabor Nyombe’s father was an SPLA soldier killed during the war. He said that the austerity measures have made it difficult to provide for the nation’s orphans and encouraged others to contribute to the South Sudan War Orphans Association.
“The sole responsibility of this community-based organization is to collect enough data about the war orphans and to lobby for non-governmental organizations to help in providing sponsorship to the war orphans,” he said.
Thousands sang traditional songs, danced, and waved small flags as a military parade passed by in downtown Juba.
Listen to Marvis Birungi report on Martyr's Day
Newer news items:
- Africa: Clinton Should Urge Leaders to Address Abuse - Huffington Post - 01/08/2012
- South Sudan Minister Meets President Mugabe - Bernama - 31/07/2012
- Clinton to make first visit to South Sudan during Africa trip - CNN - 31/07/2012
- Clinton to visit South Sudan on major Africa trip - Business Recorder (blog) - 30/07/2012
- Clinton to visit South Sudan on major Africa trip - Business Standard - 30/07/2012
Older news items:
- George Clooney to auction Tesla for South Sudan nonprofit - Los Angeles Times - 30/07/2012
- Obama welcomes new ambassadors to Burma, South Sudan - Fox News - 30/07/2012
- South Sudan commemorates 2nd Martyrs' Day since independence - New Sudan Vision - 30/07/2012
- Sudan Embassy in London denies that Olympic 800-meter runner has claimed ... - Washington Post - 29/07/2012
- Alek Wek: 'I'm trying to help with the rebuilding process' - The Guardian - 28/07/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3587 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 2381 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2202 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 2006 times
- Clinton urges Sudan, South Sudan reconciliation - USA TODAY - 03/08/2012 - Read 1984 times