- Written by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 152
Red Cross: South Sudan joins Geneva Conventions
GENEVA (AP) — The International Committee of the Red Cross says South Sudan, the world's newest nation, has signed on to the Geneva Conventions on the conduct of warfare, making the treaties "truly universal."
The Geneva-based Red Cross, which oversees compliance with the 1949 conventions that form the core of international humanitarian law, said Thursday that South Sudan signed the treaty after its legislature gave approval this week.
Melker Mabeck, head of the Red Cross delegation in Juba, South Sudan's capital, said the conventions must now be "incorporated into the training and doctrine of South Sudan's army so they are known and complied with."
South Sudanese lawmaker Dengtiel Ayuen Kuur said his nation, which gained independence last year, emphasizes its "commitment to the principles of humanity even in times of war."
Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan accuses Sudan of bombing village - MiamiHerald.com - 21/07/2012
- S.Sudan accuses Sudan of bombing its territory - Reuters Africa - 21/07/2012
- Two Methodist University students are in South Sudan promoting peace through ... - Fayetteville Observer - 20/07/2012
- South Sudan's sadness as Games hopes fade fast - Malaysia Star - 20/07/2012
- South Sudan's sadness as Olympic hopes fade fast - AFP - 19/07/2012
Older news items:
- Post-Colonial Nation Building: South Sudan's Importance to the Developing World - Forbes - 19/07/2012
- Zain and MTN target South Sudan as next mobile-money frontier - Reuters - 19/07/2012
- Severe Fuel Shortages Hit South Sudan's Capital - Voice of America - 18/07/2012
- South Sudan Urged to Improve Health Care - Voice of America - 18/07/2012
- South Sudan runner bids for independent place - Reuters - 18/07/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3874 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 3249 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 3235 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2817 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 2612 times