- Written by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 149
By Hereward Holland
JUBA (Reuters) - South Sudan said on Wednesday it is seeking international arbitration to settle a dispute with neighbouring Sudan over ownership of several contested borderlands.
The African neighbours, which split apart in July, have clashed repeatedly along their 1,800 km (1,200 miles) long border, parts of which passes close to oilfields.
The two edged close to resuming full-blown war in April when South Sudan's army seized the Heglig oil region, before withdrawing in the face of international pressure.
The African Union (AU) has managed to bring back both sides to the negotiation table but talks broke off last week over disputes over the positing of their boundary line.
South Sudan's chief negotiator Pagan Amum said international arbitration was the best way to determine the status of the disputed border areas.
"Let the government of Sudan join us to go to arbitration because arbitration is the most civilised way and most peaceful way to resolve this dispute over the border. You don't need to fight for this border," Amum told reporters in the South Sudan capital Juba.
"South Sudan will go with its maps and documents and records showing that these are territories within South Sudan," he said, gesturing at a map dated May 2, 1955, which showed Heglig and portions of other disputed areas falling on his side of the border.
Amum said AU talks in Addis Ababa would continue on June 19 but there was no immediate confirmation from Sudan. Continued...
Newer news items:
- South Sudan, UN investigate reports of rape by police - euronews - 15/06/2012
- Israeli deportation of South Sudan refugees signals policy shift - Washington Post (blog) - 15/06/2012
- South Sudan one year later - News Talk 980 CJME - 15/06/2012
- South Sudan reps in Israel: Deportation undignified - Ynetnews - 14/06/2012
- Tel Aviv crackdown strikes fear in South Sudanese - Gulf Times - 13/06/2012
Older news items:
- South Sudan seeks arbitration over disputed borderlands - Reuters - 13/06/2012
- South Sudan officials to help coordinate deportation - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - 13/06/2012
- Abdullahi Alazreg: South Sudan 'not a real country' - BBC News - 13/06/2012
- bilateral ties with South Sudan - Coastweek - 13/06/2012
- South Sudanese delegation to help repatriate illegal migrants - Haaretz - 13/06/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3871 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 3237 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 3227 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2808 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 2593 times