- Written by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 279
Figure skating champion Kim Yu-na has pledged a donation to a Catholic institute to open a school in South Sudan.
"Kim Yu-na visited the Seoul office of the Salesians of Don Bosco on Saturday afternoon and donated the W70 million needed to open a school in South Sudan," the institute said on Sunday (US$1=W1,179).
Kim met Father Vincentius Donatti (84) and Brother Giacomo Comino (73), who aim to build 100 schools in South Sudan. "I had a chance to visit Togo a year ago as part of efforts to win support for Korea's bid for the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang and I felt the need to help out children there," Kim told the clergymen. "I want to offer what little support I can," she added.
Donatti said one of the schools to be built in South Sudan will be named after Kim and asked the athlete to come visit the school after it is completed.
Donatti, who is famous for composing many Korean religious hymns, came to Korea in 1964 and has devoted himself to taking care of children -- both here and in Sudan -- for about two decades. Comino has also worked in Korea for 20 years and another 20 years in Sudan.
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- South Sudan: Number of people in need of assistance rapidly rising - Reuters AlertNet (blog) - 06/06/2012
- South Sudan's $4-billion query answered: Oil revenue stolen by corrupt officials - Globe and Mail - 05/06/2012
- Mukesh Kapila: Act Now or It will Be Too Late - Voice of America - 05/06/2012
- High commodity prices exacerbate existing poverty in South Sudan - Sudan Tribune - 05/06/2012
- Sudan's security agents reportedly seize copies of controversial paper - Sudan Tribune - 05/06/2012
Older news items:
- UN Warns Of Deteriorating Humanitarian Situation In South Sudan - RTT News - 04/06/2012
- Israeli Leader Vows Crackdown on African Migrants - New York Times - 04/06/2012
- Sudan, South Sudan renew talks after tilt toward war - Bellingham Herald - 04/06/2012
- Sudan, South Sudan renew talks after tilt toward war - Los Angeles Times - 04/06/2012
- South Sudan officials have stolen $4 billion: president - Chicago Tribune - 04/06/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3872 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 3246 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 3232 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2814 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 2606 times