- Written/Submitted by External Source
- Category: Latest (South) Sudan News From Various Sources
- Hits: 138
Loading video ......
Refugees from the world's newest nation, South Sudan, seek shelter in Kenya, as homeland conflict rages.
Thousands of refugees left Kenya to return home when the South gained independence from Sudan, almost a year ago.
But here at Kakuma camp, the cycle of exodus now repeats itself.
[Guy Avognon, U.N. High Commission for Refugees]:
"The camp was down to around 30 percent of its former capacity that means more than 50,000 people left during that time but we are now back to the pre-2007 numbers, even above, because by 2007 we were in the range of between 80 even 90,000. Right now we are getting closer and closer to 100,000."
The reason is renewed conflict between Sudan and its southern neighbour. About 1,200 South Sudanese refugees are pouring into this camp each month, fleeing war and hunger.
[Nyibol Maria, South Sudanese Refugee]:
"We have a lot of problems in our country, I just decided to come here because my village was raided and my husband and some children from a house near mine were killed. I ran away at night and it took me three weeks to get here."
Since independence, South Sudan has accused its northern neighbour of aerial bombing raids, a charge routinely denied by Khartoum.
Last month's fighting broke out amid disputes over oil exports, border demarcation, citizenship rights and financial arrangements.
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Sudanese Authorities Close Christian Offices in South Darfur - The Cypress Times - 19/05/2012
- South Sudan Cautioned On Heavy Borrowing - Oye! Times - 19/05/2012
- Sudan says receives large amount of hard currency - Reuters - 19/05/2012
- Sudan set to devalue pound amid oil crunch - Ahram Online - 19/05/2012
- South Sudan calls for UN sanctions on Khartoum - AngolaPress - 19/05/2012
Older news items:
- World Bank Boosts South Sudan Government Efforts to Increase Agriculture Potential - The FINANCIAL - 19/05/2012
- Fear of bombings affects school attendance in Unity State - Sudan Tribune - 19/05/2012
- South Sudan: UN will be judged for failing to hit Khartoum with sanctions - The Daily Star - 18/05/2012
- Website helps refugees raise money for South Sudan - WSLS - 18/05/2012
- It Is Not in the Interest of South Sudan or its People to Support Rebellion in ... - Sudan Vision - 18/05/2012
Popular news items:
- South Sudan troupe sees new country's struggle in Shakespeare - Los Angeles Times - 17/05/2012 - Read 3615 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 2496 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 2291 times
- Tackling Blindness in South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 09/11/2012 - Read 2171 times
- Clinton urges Sudan, South Sudan reconciliation - USA TODAY - 03/08/2012 - Read 2005 times